Monday, March 28, 2011

Homemade Dinner Rolls (buttermilk!)

Mmmmm BREAD! Curse you Italian lineage! I am a sucker when it comes to bread, and if I had my choice could live off of that and cheese alone. Mmmmm. Well these rolls were awesome! Don I think liked them more than I (which is weird)! After the dough process was complete I made a few different types to throw in the oven. Some I rolled in a ball, others I flattened out and made pretzel/knot tying shapes and even crescent ones. All tasted the same, but allowed Carter and Don to grab what they preferred, aesthetically speaking that is. :) P.s. I made the Buttermilk version. I will list the variation below.

Recipe:
4 1/2 to 5 Cups of white flour
1 package active dry yeast (I use a jar of yeast and put 1 Tbs in)
1 Cup Milk (see**)
1/3 Cup Sugar
1/3 Cup butter/margarine/or shortening
1 tsp Salt
2 Eggs(see **)
(** For Buttermilk use 1 and 1/4 Cups of buttermilk for the milk and only 1 egg**)

1. In a large ixing bowl stir together 2 cups of the flour and the yeast. In a small saucepan heat and stir milk, sugar, butter and salt just until warm (120-130F if you're using a thermometer). You want the butter to almost melt, but not too hot or you'll kill the yeast when you add to the flour. Now after it is starting to melt add to the flour mixture then add the eggs. Mix well together with an electric mixer or wooden spoon (I actually use a flat large fork). After this is all combined, slowly add as much of the remaining flour as you can. Don't over do it though!

2. Now knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic. Shape dough into a ball and put in a greased bowl (greased with cooking spray or shortening - I just spray with PAM). Place in a warm spot and cover with a towel. let it rise until the dough is doubled. -- about an hour or so.

3. Now punch the dough down and turn onto a lightly floured surface. Tear and shape into balls, or roll out and cut and shape into whatever you are trying to achieve. Like if you are wanting to try a knot type, roll the dough out into a long "snake" (like when we all played with play-do back in the day) then simply take the two ends and loosely tie a knot. Simple!

4. Now you can either shape and make everything you want and let rise for another half hour till large and fluffy, or you can let stand for 10 mins then through them into the oven. Which is what I normally do.

5. Oven should be pre-heated at 375F. Stick those yummy looking guys into that oven and set the timer for 12-15 mins. check after 10 mins to make sure they are not getting too golden/brown. Your oven might cook hotter than the average!

6. Serve warm with melted butter over the top, or place on wire racks to cool. Mmmmmm!

Don brought these to school the next day to eat and give to others because I did not want them in the house. I knew if I could see them during the day I would eat them all.
Hi my name is Ashley, and I am a bread-aholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment