Thursday, March 3, 2011

Creamy Cajun Chicken

My mother came to Arizona from Tennessee to visit us for the week. Unfortunately Carter got sick that weekend and was an extreme grumpaholic all week that she was here. Sorry mom! We did manage to go to the park a few times, but that was the extent of our exciting adventures. My mother and I did bake/cook a little though! After eating "Cafe Rio" on Monday (delicious restaurant in the western USA... mmmmmm) I tried out this recipe on Tuesday. It is called "Cream Cajun Chicken." I found it on delish.com and thought it looked interesting and wanted to give it a try. It smelled great, but was too hot for me. Hot, as in spicy. It was hot for my mother too, but she liked it - and as for Don he loved it and thought it was not hot at all! So, I guess it just depends on your level of tolerance. I think it would taste just as good without the cajun....but, I guess it would not be a creamy *cajun* chicken recipe then....
(oh, and p.s. I did forgot an important step/ingredient in this recipe!! That's what happens when you cook and take care of a sick kid at the same time) So this probably would taste 10x better with the... CREAM in it.... :-P haha ... I seriously thought something was off! Now I know...
Recipe:
  • half a bag of rotini noodles
  • 1 Tbs) canola oil
  • 4 slices of Turkey bacon, chopped
  • 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • about 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 tsp Cajun seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
  • 1 Tbs all-purpose flour
  • 1 can (28-ounce) crushed tomatoes
  • 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
  2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a skilled about medium heat. Add bacon and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add chicken, bell pepper, garlic, Cajun seasoning, and pepper. Cook stirring, until the onion and bell pepper are beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
  3. Add flour and stir to coat. Add tomatoes and their juice; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, until the sauce is bubbling and thickened and the chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream. -----NOTE: I forgot about the sour cream!! Guess I left out the "creamy" part of my creamy cajun chicken) WHOOPS! - please include the cream people!
  4. Stir the pasta into the sauce
  5. Serve up! I sprinkled Parmesan cheese over mine :)
  6. ENJOY~

1 comment:

  1. now you are on the cafe rio bandwagon. I have delicious recipes for their salad (including the bomb dressing and the sweet pork burritos if you want them Ash let me know! Hope you guys are doing well.

    ReplyDelete