Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Black Bean with Sausage Soup

What happened to last nights meal? Uhhhhh my dog ate it...? Okay, okay! Fine...my dog did not eat it. In fact, I don't even have a dog! The truth is, my cat ate it. Yes, I have a cat thank you...and no, I can't seem to pull anything pass you - my cat didn't touch a thing. Not because he didn't want to, but because (*hold breath*) I DID NOT MAKE ANYTHING...gulp. Yes, I said it. I made not one tantalizing tid-bit for anyone to taste. It was a "left-overs" kinda night. Don has school late twice a week and Carter and I were out with some new friends. I predict this type of post to possibly happen a few more times in the future.

So, did I make anything tonight then? Yes, yes I did. Thanks for asking. I indeed cooked and baked up quite a special treat! The treat won't be done till tomorrow, but dinner tonight was very tasteful. The past few days have been cold here in Arizona. Very windy! So this was perfect to warm up my frozen husband when he came home. I tried and tested "Black bean and Sausage Soup", and it was YUMMY!
(Came from Better Homes and Garden New Cook Book)

Recipe:
(quick version, with black beans already cooked, not dry)
2 - 15oz Can Black Beans
1.5 Cups Chicken Broth
2 Cups Water
1 cup chopped Onion (one large)
1 cup chopped Celery (2 stalks)
1 tea ground Coriander
1/4 tea Salt
1/4 tea Cayenne Pepper
4 cloves Garlic, minced
8 oz cooked, smoked, Sausage (I used Italian, and 16oz)

First cut up your sausage and cook thoroughly. Set aside. In a large pot combine all the above ingredients (excluding meat) and bring to a boil. Boil for a minute or two then turn down to a simmer for about 15 mins. Check the veggies to see if they have softened and then toss in the sausage. I turned the temperature of mine up to about a 3-4, till is was starting to bubble --then back down to a simmer. Leave it on simmer/warm until ready to serve. SUPER easy and very tasty! That coriander is awesome - and the celery really give it a special taste too.
You can add some sour cream if desired as well. I put some on mine and Don left it out. We ate warm with saltine crackers. Mmmmm just right. :)

I thought this Celery base looked pretty after I chopped off the stalks...is that weird? ;)

Onions and Celery chopped and ready to get in the Pot
Black bean and Sausage Soup with sour cream (optional)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy to me...I half expected a few more ingredients like maybe rice or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo the celery DOES look pretty lol

    ReplyDelete