Thursday, February 10, 2011

Beef Barley Stroganoff

Sounds good, uh? Well, it is! I grew up with "Stroganoff" where my mother would cube chunks of meat, with a sour cream/cream of mushroom sauce over egg noddles. So, when I saw this recipe I was hesitant, because it didn't sound or resemble the stroganoff mama use to make. It was great though! Certainly a little different, but in a good way.

Recipe:
Box of Barley
2.5 Cups of Vegetable Broth
1.2 tsp dried marjoram
1lb Lean Ground Beef
1.5 cups of Chopped Celery
1.5 Cup minced green Onion
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 Cup Half-and-Half
1 package/6oz Mushrooms (optional)

Cook the lean beef, while Barley cooks. Chop up the celery and green onions. After meat is thoroughly cooked add the mushrooms (I don't like mushrooms, so never add) and celery, green onions (I did not have any tonight) plus pepper, marjoram and half/half to the meat. Turn down to about 2-3 heat. After Barley is soft and cooked add a little at a time for desired barley/meat ratio. (about half the sauce pan for me). Stir around and serve hot. ENJOY~

p.s. I also made Italian Cheese bread, that is what you see as well in the picture. However, it did not turn out how I would have desired it. Thus, no recipe or picture for you. Sorry! :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment