Wednesday, February 16, 2011

BBQ Chicken topped with Turkey Bacon and Swiss Cheese

The other night I made a tantalizing dish that will please all men, even though chicken is used instead of steak( *gasp*). BBQ is the secret! What is it about men and BBQ? Not sure...but it almost always get's a 100% approval just because of the word Barbecue! :-P

So I made this to get the taste-buds of my man going:

I normally would have made this in a crock-pot so the chicken would soak and get extra tender, but time was of the essence this evening. I took about a 1.5lb of chicken breast and trimmed the fat and placed in the skillet. Then I loaded the skillet with Honey BBQ sauce. Just generously pour, turning the chicken around in it (coating both sides). Turn to about a 4 (low/medium) and let the chicken slowly cook. Cover the skillet if you have a top large enough. Flip the chicken every so often to make sure the BBQ is being applied and the chicken is cooking thoroughly. After cooking, check the fattest chicken piece by cutting through with a knife to make sure it is nice and white (pink=raw). Now turn the heat down to a warm/simmer and place a half strip or two of Bacon/Turkey Bacon (I only use Turkey Bacon) over each piece of chicken. Now take a slice of Swiss Cheese and lay on top, over the (T)Bacon. The heat will cause the cheese to melt nicely.

Whew, nice work y'all! You're done. Now dish up and serve with veggies, bread, fruit..whatever you like! I served with a mixed veggie combo, with some leftover homemade bread and a salad. YUM!

3 comments:

  1. This is just like a dish I made to mimic one I ate at Applebees. It was a BBQ chicken with 2 slices of bacon and topped with cheese. It was always served with rice and steamed broccoli. Yumm. Haven't made that in a while.

    Hey so you have me curious. How much of a taste difference is there for turkey bacon over pork?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, there is a taste difference. Pork is more tender and thicker...and of course, fattier and probably a lot yummier to most.-- but I can live without the extra calories and fat, so Turkey Bacon is my choice. I like the way it tastes, and Don has gotten "use" to it. HaHa I know he would rather have the pig, though...and so would Ben. BUT you should give TBacon a try, just to see. You might really like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha see I used to cook with ground turkey a lot when i was single because it was cheaper and healthier. Ben HATES when I cook with it now because he can "taste" the difference. so....yeah...not cooking with turkey substitute here. Wish I could but I'd have a husband rebellion on my hands.

    ReplyDelete