Monday, September 12, 2011

Potato Rolls

You think I have a bread addiction? You should see my husband when I make a batch of these moist rolls! The ever so popular and best loved *Potato Rolls!* I had never made nor had these before, but my husband started to rant happily about how delicious they are and that he grew up with them. I am not a big potato fan, but gave them a try for my dear Don's sake...

They were FANTASTIC! I have made them at least 4 times since... wonderful! moist! tasty! They were so good that Don (my husband) did not want to put anything on them, or even dip them in the roast I had made. Now that's saying something about these little guys!

Recipe:
4-4.5 Cups of all purpose flour
1 pkg active dry yeast (I use the jar, 1 Tbs)

1 Cup Milk

1/4 Cup Water

1/4 Cup Sugar
1/4 cup Shortening
1.5 tsp Salt

1 beaten egg
1/2 cup mashed potato


1. First off, get yourself a nice potato. Peel, and cut into quarters, and boil for about 25 mins. Afterward mash up and measure out and even 1/2 cup.

2. Combine 2 cups of flour and the yeast. Heat and stir milk, water, sugar, shortening and salt just until warm (120-130F) and shortening almost melts; add to flour mixture along with egg and mashed potato. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 mins. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.

3. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic. Shape dough into ball and place in a lightly greased bowl (turning to grease surfaces)-- cover and let rise until double in size. (about 1 hour).

4. Pre-heat oven to 375F and lined a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Punch down your dough and then tear portions off and roll into a ball. Place rolled balls on cookie sheet and allow to rest for 10 mins. (note: the first I made these I made fairly large balls and they were wonderful and moist -- the second time around I wanted to make a lot and made the balls smaller, they were still good - but not as moist...so go with large!) I made about 12 large rolls.

5. Place in oven and cook for approx. 11 mins.

6. Let the drooling begin! :) Enjoy~

No comments:

Post a Comment