Monday, January 31, 2011

Black belt cookies

I believe it was back in October (2010) when I made these. I am a Martial Art instructor and had been working with a new group of children (4 years old) and getting them ready for there very first Tae Kwon Do test. I had made these little "black belt" sugar cookies to give to all who tested--adding a little extra *sweet* congrats for working so hard. I had put them in individual zip-lock bags and stapled a little note at the top about working hard toward there black belt, etc. They loved them! and I loved making them! So cute, and...of course, super easy!

My family recipe "NEVER FAIL" sugar cookies:
4 Cups of Flour
1.5 Cups of Sugar
2 tea Baking Powder
1 tea Soda
1/2 tea Salt
2 Eggs
2/3 Cup of Milk
1.5 tea Vanilla
1 Cup Shortening (crisco)

Sift first 5 ingredients together. Work in Shortening. Beat eggs and add to milk and vanilla. Mix with dry ingredients (I use a large fork for everything and then my hands after it's pretty well mixed to really get things together and into a ball). Then either break off and roll into balls by hand -- or roll of the cookie dough with a rolling pin and cut cookies out.
Bake at 375F for approx 7-10 mins. Don't burn....a burnt cookie is never appreciated. :D

Frosting:
1lb of Powder Sugar
1/4 tea Salt
1 tea Vanilla
1/4 Cup Milk
1/3 Cup butter (2/3 of stick)

Beat with spoon or mixer. Add color if you desire. YUM YUM!

The black belts are black licorice - just so ya know. :)


2 comments:

  1. I'll have to make these for Brian's students who are testing in April. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo that would be awesome! :) My kids really loved it. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete