Monday, January 31, 2011

Home made tortillas and chili

(from yet another entry on my main web blog)
Mmmmmm I thought! That would be good! So I cooked up a pound of lean hamburger, added some chili spices, black beans, tomatoes and green chilies. Topped with some cheese (I love cheese!) Than I made the tortillas, which were super easy!
  • 3 Cups of Flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp Baking Powder
  • 3/2 Cup shortening (crisco)
  • 3/4 Cup Hot water
Mix the first 4 together (flour will be crumbly) than add the water. Stir, knead etc.. till it is slightly elastic. Have a large skillet hot on medium heat. Divide dough into how many balls you want, depending on the size of the tortilla you want to make. Take a ball, roll it out very very thin (1/8 inch?) and throw it onto the hot pan. Wait till it starts to bubble up a little, or till your desired golden/browness. Flip it over, same on other side -- and then you're done! Repeat till all the dough is done. Simple Simple. And I LOVE that no oil is involved. Enjoy!
(tip: I like my tortillas thicker and soft - so don't roll out as thin and cook for slightly less time)
Here are Mine...

No comments:

Post a Comment