Monday, January 31, 2011

Island Pork Tenderloin

I made this meal last night. It turned out quite yummy and the homemade bread was a great addition. Of course, I did not take a picture of that - so...will make for another post :).

At our "Kroger" type food store, called Frys (Arizona) - they were having an AWESOME deal on meats. Buy 1, get one of equal value free...yes, FREE meat! I am not huge into consuming large amounts of meat - but my husband loves it, and it does serve a healthy purpose in correct portions - so I did not mind spending the extra money to buy a nice piece of meat and get another free. That is what a freezer is for, right? Another nights meal saved. Anyway, we went in the evening and they did not have any nice pot roasts of anything yummy like that left - but they did have these HUGE pork tenderloins available. I mean like 4 and 5 lbs hunks of meat! We scored 2 of those and happily brought them home. One in the fridge, one in the freezer.
Now for the recipe.
This is something I snatched from my P90X nutrition book (with slight variation).

This recipe is for 16 ounces (1lb) of meat, so double, triple..whatever must, for your meat size.
Mix together:
1/2 tea Salt
1/4 tea Pepper
1/2 tea Chili Powder
1/2 tea Ground Cumin
1/2 tea Cinnamon
2 tea Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar (packed)
About 1/2 cup, if not more of BBQ sauce (whatever style you like) - I've done Honey and traditional.
Mix together till a nice thick paste. You can add a tiny bit of water if you want it more in liquid format.

Now instead of using the crock-pot like I have in the past I simply cut my tenderloin in 1-1.5 inch slices and threw them in a skillet. I cooked in medium heat with some water in the pan and added sauce to top (then turned over) bottom of the pork slices. Since I had a 4lb tenderloin I was cutting from it took a few sequences to get it all cooked. Meaning, I placed about 5 slices in a pan at a time to cook (when finished, placed on a plate - and started the next batch). Cook fully, and add as much yummy sauce as you want. Afterward transfer to plate, sprinkle some parsley on top, and you're done! Good job :)

I served mine with hot home made bread, french style green beans, wild rice and strawberries.
(friends brought over a DELICIOUS chocolate mousse for dessert and the strawberries were quite tasty with that too, YUM!)


No comments:

Post a Comment