Saturday, June 4, 2011

*Cocoa Cats*

There is more than one way to skin a cat.... a cookie cat that is! That is exactly what Carter and I made this afternoon; some cute cocoa kitties! I was actually going to make a traditional Christmas Scandinavian treat tonight, but lacked one of the ingredients - so I perused the book and thought these looked fun- (Cats are one of Carter's favorite animals...) - They were super super simple to make and had minimal ingredients. They came out soft and moist, with a rich cocoa taste. I used some frosting from cookies I made the other month, that I had stored in the freezer (thus the blue). Carter kept pointing and say/signing Cat! Cat! (we do sign language with him) It was so darn cute. It was a hit with Don and Carter~ Success! Have fun making these critters (idea: use orange frosting for Halloween time! )


(I had some dough left over, so I made little paws! hehe)

Recipe:
  • 1/3 Cup Shortening
  • 1/3 Cup Butter (softened)
  • 3/4 Cup Sugar
  • 1/3 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 Egg
  • 2 Tbs Milk
  • 1 tsp Vanilla
  • 1 3/4 Cup all-purpose flour

1. In a large mixing bowl, beat or stir the shortening and butter together till creamy and smooth. Add sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Beat until combined. beat in egg, milk and vanilla until creamy. Add flour and stir till fully combined.

2. Now the recipe calls for chilling the dough for about an hour or 2 for it is easy to handle. I decided to just add a little extra flour to make the dough slightly tougher and just roll out and shape. ....So your choice! :) Roll the dough and using a cat cutter, cut out the animals. Now, another side road I took...I did not have a cat cutter! haha...but I did have a large circle. So I cut out large circles and then took a knife and cut out a triangle on top for an ear then line and another triangle for the other ear. Then just chiseled off the edges to make triangle shaped cheeks. :) It worked...
(uncooked kitties)


(cooked kitties)

3. Place cookies in a baking sheet, (parchment paper!) Bake cookies at 375F for about 7-9 mins. (or until edges are firm and bottom is light) 7 mins worked perfectly for my "cats". ....Take the *cats* out and allow to cool fully. Then use your icing skills to create the purr-fect feline faces! I used my icing recipe found in my previous post for black belt cookies

Don and Carter approved! They both gobbled them up..and, of course, a cat wouldn't be complete without a large glass a milk by their side. Yum Yum....



however: I would have liked them more if they were ginger, and not cocoa. I ate one. That was enough for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment