Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Nun's Puffs

So you're probably thinking, what in the world in a *Nun's Puffs* haha...I was too! I was making dinner one night (see below post, Swiss Steak) and wanted to make a bread - but knew I did not have time to make a yeast bread and do the whole process of rising, etc, etc... so I searched through one of my cook books for a bread recipe that was quick. I saw these and thought, hmmm that looks interesting! I am glad it included a picture (which normally sell me to make the recipes in the first place, it's hard to make something when you don't know what it is supposed to look like afterward!) The prep time listed was about 25 mins, and the bake around 30. Sounds good to me! Better than a few hours! So that is where my Nun's Puff adventure started...and since I am posting all these extremely late I have since made this recipe about 6 or 7 more times! Yes, it is that good. They remind me of a puffy crepe, or kind of a German Pancake type taste. You make it on the stove, has very few ingredients, and you cook them in a muffin tray! Served hot with honey...or strawberries and whip cream. My husband can't get enough of them! I honestly think they are good, but I can only eat about 1. Just not my thing.

Recipe:
1/2 Cup butter
1 Cup Milk
3/4 cup all-purpose Flour
4 eggs
1 Tbs Sugar
Honey (optional - but recommended!)

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Generously grease twelve muffin cups, including the edge and around the top of each cup; set aside. In a medium saucepan melt butter; add milk. Bring to boiling. Add flour all at once, stirring vigorously. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball that doe snot separate, Remove from heat; cool for 5 mins. (I actually take the pan off the heat and add the flour and stir until it forms a ball)\

2. Add eggs, one at a time, beating for 1 min with a wooden spoon after each addition or until smooth. Divide dough evenly among the muffin cups. --filling the cups about 2/3 full. Sprinkle with sugar ((which we have never done, but I am sure tastes great! - trying to reduce sugar for us)

3. Bake about 30 mins or until golden brown and puffy. remove from pan. Serve immediately - serve with honey!! ...also, I never went the full 30 mins. Normally 23-25 mins is good.
Enjoy!


Previous post had the Swiss Steaks I made with the Nun's Puffs. :)

1 comment:

  1. They are much better with coffee than dinner. Try topping with brown sugar for a slightly candied crust before you bake them. I just made these for the first time last week.

    ReplyDelete