Thursday, April 21, 2011

"The Chewy" Chocolate Chip Cookie

I love to peruse the different recipes and reviews on sites such as foodnetwork.com and found this one. "The Chewy" as it was titled was by chef Alton Brown. I had all the ingredients, and there were many many positive reviews. Now I feel I already have my favorite Chocolate Chip recipe, but I wanted to try other variations to see where they stood. Well these stood flat, literally. They were "chewy", but aren't most cookies? My husband and I like the large, fluffy comforting type cookies. These were not it. My husband of course ate them, because he will eat anything, and I shared one with Carter. Instead of bagging them up and having Don take them to school the next day to pawn off on fellow students I felt embarrassed to even have "outsiders" eat my work. ((outsiders that is, those who were not living in my house)) So instead I bagged them up and sucked the air out and threw them in the far back corner of the freezer. I figured they were still edible and might come in handy if a cookie attack every occurred for Don or I...or Don...or Don.... Did I say Don? :)
To my surprise these little frozen yummies came in handy! They tasted better after being frozen and were a nice addition to a little bowl of vanilla ice cream, or just a random snack attack. Of course...it did not take long for my freezer cookies to end up in the belly of cookie monster husband. ...and where does he get off blaming me for his newly found chunkiness? Hmmmm


Verdict: Good...but on to other recipes.

Recipe:
2 sticks unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium sausepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

Pour the melted butter in the bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes.

DON'T OVER COOK!...yuck

No comments:

Post a Comment